Thursday, October 27, 2005

OC Register or PC Register?

Here's a story that got me fuming: It's harvest time for yule trees. Don't let the title fool you. This article isn't harmless.

Now I love and respect the Orange County Register, especially the editorial page. I read it every day. But when my Register starts calling a CHRISTMAS tree a "holiday" tree, I start to get images of coal swirling in my head. That paper's gone naughty. It's gone politically correct! Christmas is only mentioned in the article in noting the name of the company that supplied the white fir.

I can't remember. Do Jewish families decorate evergreens every year around the winter solstice?

I can remember Congress instituting this "holiday"-speak a couple years ago. Thankfully, the White House hasn't followed suit. Any Sacramento staffers know if the Democrats have made it the "holiday" tree yet? Or have Nunez and Romero eliminated the ritual altogether?