Saturday, March 04, 2006

The Smart Deborah or The Wolf in Sheeps Clothing

I had always heard that of the two Deborahs running for Secretary of State, Deborah Bowen was the smart one. However, after receiving her latest plea for money I have to question that analysis.

Here is a portion of her letter:

Dear Friend,

Well, it looks like I'm angering the powerful special interests again. But then again, my job isn't about winning friends in Sacramento -- it's about doing the right thing for the people of California.

Ensuring fair and accurate elections here in California means asking the tough questions -- tough questions to Republican Secretary of State Bruce McPherson, tough questions to the multi-billion dollar corporations building new voting machines, and tough questions to the testing labs that are supposed to ensure this equipment is secure and accurate.

Not surprisingly, a lot of these powerful interests don't want to see me elected Secretary of State this November. And we're going to have to fight hard to win. But I know that with the grassroots support of tens of thousands of friends across California, we can do it.

Can I count on your help -- today and over the weeks and months ahead?

Help me fight for fair and accurate elections as California's next Secretary of State -- contribute to my campaign today!

The special interests are desperately counting on Secretary of State Bruce McPherson to help Arnold Schwarzenegger hang on to the GOP toehold in some of California's key statewide elected offices. That's why the Governor and his allies have announced plans to raise more than $60 million for their campaigns for November. That's an incredible figure -- and we're going to have to battle through it.

Now I don't expect to raise $60 million for my campaign. Nor do I think we'll need to -- not when the issues are on our side. But we do need to raise enough money to get our message out and cut through the barrage of negative, misleading ads that Arnold's special interests are going to throw at us.

That's why I'm asking for your help, today.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM

An easy stroll of the SOS website shows that "the smart Deborah" has taken tens of thousands of dollars from multiple special interests groups, such as;

Trial Attorneys
Labor Unions
CTA

What I find most troubling is the hundreds of thousands she has taken from contributors from the energy and telecommunications industry, seeing as she sits on the Committee that oversees those areas.

So Deborah when you make statements like, "Well, it looks like I'm angering the powerful special interests again. But then again, my job isn't about winning friends in Sacramento -- it's about doing the right thing for the people of California." It brings on old saying to my mind.

People in glass houses should not throw stones.